Downstream (Somewhere outside of Los Angeles)



What is just around the bend? What is located just downstream (or upstream)? What secret does the next pool of crystal-clear water hold? These questions push me forward on countless trout fishing expeditions, often in the local mountain ranges, the "Saints" (San Gabriels, San Bernardinos, San Jacinto).

Earlier this year I took the plunge (literally) downstream, going further along a popular creek than I had ever ventured before. It required getting wet and scrambling along some narrow ledges for a ways, but I made it safely. Even managed to avoid the abundant poison oak along the "trail."A pair of cheap gardening gloves + frequent applications of TechNu lotion seemed to do the trick (seriously, check the TechNu lotion out, it's saved me many times)

This particular stretch of creek had two fascinating sections - a lush, forested portion with many nice pools, some teeming with trout; and a second, narrow slot canyon, exposed to the intense summer sun. The scenery was arguably amazing in both, but the slot canyon really caught me by surprise. Most SoCal creeks doesn't have this kind of topography and I hadn't seen any pictures of this part before. Google Maps sleuthing hadn't gotten me prepared for it either. Take a look:





Fishing was difficult, to say the least. I'm still getting used to trying fly-fishing only on certain trout trips, and I had more than my fair share of snags, lost flys, and tangles throughout the day. However, the scenery more than made up for it, as well as the thrill of discovery. I came across many pools with rainbows swimming idylilly around, easily spooked, but still willing to hit a dry fly. I even managed to land one, and snap off a monster of a fish in sheltered pool underneath thick cover. 
I'll definitely be back for more!

Photos taken with the Zerotech RollCap Camera. You can see video footage from the trip, and other trips, on my review of the RollCap camera here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HiMdKGaCaw




Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

Be nice.