Fishing Grimes Creek in Idaho - Trip Report


This last week I travel to Boise, Idaho. I only had a couple of days to explore the many surrounding rivers and streams in the area, but I was incredibly excited to check out new water in a entirely different state. 
Unfortunately, I was almost rained out. However, by the second day the weather cleared, and I drove up to Grimes Creek. This creek is approximately 45 minutes outside of Boise, and looked like the perfect body of water for a small creek trout fan.


Initially cloudy and crisp, the day quickly warmed up, with fall colors greeting me at every turn. 
From my research, Grimes supposedly holds a variety of trout species, plus whitefish.
I have been warned before going to the creek of the waters might be a little too low to fish. Apparently, the best fishing is earlier in the summer, and during the fall the fish seem to travel elsewhere. Perhaps downstream to Moores Creek? Regardless I hit the creek hard, fly fishing with light gear, and a hopper dropper setup. 


As the sun slowly came out, the fish started smacking hopper pattern flys. They were quite small - the largest was probably 6", but it was still a blast to see them. I only landed a couple of these, all wild rainbow trout, no other species to be seen, and quickly released them.


The water levels were definitely low, but the creek wasn't unfishable. It was roughly the size of the East Fork of the San Gabriel in early summer, with a fair number of pools and runs to sample (just minus the trash and graffiti so common here in California).

I enjoyed fishing Grimes Creek. Surrounded by the beauty of fall, casting on an empty stream, was perfect. Hopefully I'll get to explore it again, this time when larger fish are present. 
Hat tip to Reddit user GH and to QuixoticAngler for info on this creek

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

2 comments

comments
February 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM delete

Thanks for the warn and great post dear!
visit our website

Reply
avatar
February 5, 2019 at 11:14 PM delete


When you're tired, you want to relax after a stressful working hours, you need to have time to take care of the kids active.
visit our website
visit our website
visit our website

Reply
avatar

Be nice.