Cali Urban Creek Bass and Green Sunfish Fishing Action

 Bass Attack Urban Creek Bass Fishing with Underwater Shots

Last week, I visited one of my favorite urban creeks in California. It's packed with cover and loaded with largemouth bass, green sunfish, carp, catfish and other eager biters. So far, most of the bass I've caught in this creek are tiny. However, this last trip really blew me away-several decent-sized largemouth bass were caught, along with a bunch of chunky green sunfish on an assortment of lures.


I was really impressed with this section of the creek. It's relatively un-trashed, when compared to some of the upstream parts of this urban creek. The tree canopy is pretty dense, covering the surface of the water with loads of shade. There is scattered fallen logs and brush along the shore, with fast sections and slow, deep pools. It really feels like a different world from many other urban creeks I've fished. Even better, I had this section of the creek to myself. That's not to say it hadn't been fished before, as evidenced by a few stray pieces of fishing line and beer bottles. 


I started out catching one nice largemouth on a Real Fish Swimbait Hard Shad model. He hit it after a long retrieve in some rapids near a spillway. Catching that fish set the pace for the day. As you can see from the above video, I ended up doing pretty well on this trip. I'm also very pleased with how the video turned out; it's definitely one of my best urban creek YouTube fishing videos so far. The music choice may not be perfect for all audiences (dubstep?) but I hope you still enjoy the fishing!


The last pool I stopped at was absolutely amazing. Landed a healthy largemouth bass on my first cast, with a dropshot Zipper worm. Next up with several more missed strikes on the same worm. Switched over to a Yo-Zuri Snap Bean and was instantly back in the action. The largemouth would chase this tiny micro crankbait, but it was the green sunfish that went wild over it. I lost track of how many of these big-mouthed greenies I landed on this ultralite crankbait, but at one point I was hooking up on every cast. I'll be posting a review series sometime soon of my favorite ultralite crankbaits and jerkbaits, with more on these wonderful micro cranks! 


 
I also landed several fish on the usual assortment of microjigs, crappie jigs and one other lure, a hand-painted blank lure jerkbait from wLure. II don't have an airbrush, but I've still had a fun time hand painting a few blank crankbaits and jerkbaits from wLure. Catching a fish on a lure you've painted yourself is especially rewarding.


The new time change really throws off my fishing schedule, in a good way. I'll have to agree with a recent post over at UrbanFlyVentures-let's Spring Forward and stick with it, no more Fall Backs! I had been fishing for several hours but the sun didn't appear to be anywhere near ready to set. Definitely felt odd, but I'm thrilled to have a longer time to fish each day, at least until next Fall. Sounds like there will be plenty more urban creek fishing adventures to post at Hunting the River King in the near future!

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »

5 comments

comments
March 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM delete

Sounds like you got a lot of great catches! Nice to see you can have more time fishing.

Reply
avatar
March 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM delete

I enjoy looking at what for me is exotic fishing water, I enjoy thinking, "now how would I fish this?" Nice everything.

Gregg

Reply
avatar
March 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM delete

Nice. That's some amazing fishing from waters that are hidden in plain view.

Reply
avatar
July 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM delete

I will pay you any price to give me the location of hidden creeks in i.e. i only fish sundays n bored of normal parks, i fish for thrill and catch n release so plz let me know.

Reply
avatar
July 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM delete

Glad you enjoyed it!
Get on GoogleMaps and start hunting :)

Reply
avatar

Be nice.